All you need advice and stories for your sport, delivered straight to your inbox (every month).Nothing more.Nothing less.
P.S: You will enjoy this.
Weight gain can be challenging when one is skinny. Eating heavy and weight gaining foods can help in gaining weight. There are many foods to gain weight for females, but first, you have to maintain yourself. In this era, anyone inside the world wants to have a perfect body nowadays. In this world, there are people of all shapes and sizes who live very happily and enjoy their lives. But on the other hand, fat is essential for all our bodies.
Being underweight and skinny has some serious adverse effects. Weight gain foods can help in gaining weight. In this day and age, it is impossible to resist the urge to desire the perfect body. The models in magazines and gym enthusiasts flaunting their rock-hard abs on social media all contribute towards this yearning. It is falsely accepted that being thin is a sign of being healthy.
There are people of all shapes and sizes who are living a successful, happy and empowered life. However, recent studies have shown that fat is essential to our body, playing an important role in blood clotting and brain development, amongst other benefits (1), (2). The most common way to understand the overall health of the body is by measuring the Body Mass Index (BMI). But the misconception about BMI is that a person falling in the normal range is healthy, whereas body-fat percentage is the actual deciding factor.
A term, “skinny fat” has been coined to describe individuals who are outwardly skinny but have the same medical issues as obese people. The visceral fat around the abdominal cavity can cause high cholesterol, insulin resistance, and increased heart problems. Although stuffing one’s face with junk food is not a healthy way to gain weight, there are many alternative healthy foods to gain weight that can increase one’s calorie intake all while providing benefits with its nutritious content.
There are many reasons for wanting to gain weight besides underlying health conditions. Teenagers are constantly looking to bulk up and have broader shoulders with stronger bodies. There are certain sports like football that require an athletic body. Weight gain food plays a huge role in a healthy body when incorporated with an active lifestyle.
If you are one of the “skinny-fat” people or a sports enthusiast, you must be wondering what to eat to gain weight fast? No need to fret, there are many foods to increase weight. Here is our weight gain food list of 20 nutritious, high-calorie foods.
Weight gain is a complex method that requires a nutrition-rich diet with healthy and balanced elements. However, plenty of nutritional elements in weight gain foods effectively help to gain weight with the healthy method.
In all the weight gain foods, there is a balanced number of proteins, minerals, manganese, Zinc, Iron, etc., which help the body store healthy carbs and calories. So, according to the dietician, weight gain food stores more healthy calories in the body without disturbing regular functioning.
With a skinny body, many health issues arise, leading to prolonged physical illness and deficiencies. People with limited knowledge include high-calorie food, which eventually impacts metabolism with chronic digestion issues. Further in this article, we will discuss some weight gain foods with their benefits and nutrition ratio.
Weight gain is a complex process that depends on the calories you consume and burn. For gaining persistent weight gain, you need to consume more calorie content than you are burning. Weight gain is a complicated process that is difficult for people working out vigorously or with a high metabolism.
It is highly mistaken that overeating any food item will help you gain weight quickly. According to the dietician, eating the right food will help you gain weight healthily. We will discuss the comprehensive weight gain foods list to determine its nutritional value and efficacy in gaining weight quickly.
This one being a staple in everyone’s diet, it is not hard to source and incorporate in a meal. Rice is a rich source of carbohydrates, providing around 200 calories per cup. It also has a generous amount of protein and fibre. It is a very filling food, and it can be eaten with other high-calorie food for weight gain. Brown rice is the best option for weight-gain foods as it additionally provides nutrient-packed bran and germ layer.
A tasty recipe for tomato rice can be found below:
Berries, apricots, and apples can be easily dried and eaten. They have a higher number of calories per gram and also provide antioxidants and vitamins for a healthier body. As all the water content is removed, and energy-dense fruit is left, making it the best food to gain weight. Dates, figs, and prunes are also some healthy dried fruits.
The best way to eat them is as snacks. You can make your own dried fruit at home as:
Certain oils like olive oil are an essential food to increase weight in a moderate amount. It is rich in healthy monounsaturated fats. When drizzled on pasta, bread or vegetables, it can add calories and flavour too. Olive oil has 800 calories per 100 grams.
You can make your dip as follows:
Another healthy alternative is canola oil, a high source of omega-3 and monounsaturated fats. It is almost tasteless, making it the perfect all-purpose cooking oil.
You can use it to make the vinaigrette:
Walnut and grape seed oils are lighter in flavour and perfect for dressing salads. It is rich in omega-3 fatty acid ALA and other unsaturated fatty acids, as well as ellagitannins and other polyphenol compounds that act as antioxidants. Thus, consuming walnut oil may improve blood sugar levels and boost heart health.
A delightful lentil salad can be made with walnut oil:
This Mexican delight is a weight gainer’s dream and an important food to gain weight fast. Not only are they rich in monounsaturated fatty acids, but they also have vitamin K, potassium, and fiber. One avocado has more than 200 calories, so it's a good way to add extra calories without sacrificing nutrition. It is a tasty and healthy option for breakfast.
A yummy recipe can be found below:
This combination is one of the best weight gain foods to eat.
If you’re wondering what to eat to gain weight, it’s there right in front of you. Cashews, almonds, pecans, sunflower seeds, flax seeds, Brazil nuts, walnuts, and pumpkin seeds are all good for you. They contain polyunsaturated fats that add healthy calories to your diet.
Eating them raw or roasted or adding in foods as powder and chopped pieces daily is a good way to ensure daily intake. One tablespoon of peanut butter, for example, has about 100 calories. Each 100 g of almonds contains 579 calories and has 21.15 g of protein.
A trail mix of sweet and spicy nuts can be made according to the following recipe:
Honey mixed with fruits, nuts, whole grains, and seeds makes the perfect granola. Store your granola in an airtight container and serve it for breakfast. The various constituents of granola individually provide health benefits, hence it features on our weight gain food list.
Oats, honey and dried berries in it give a quick energy booster. Granola is considered as iron-rich foods, which helps your body to counteract symptoms of anaemia and prevent chronic headaches, irregular breathing and fatigue.
Making granola at home is pretty easy with this recipe:
This delight is very healthy for the body. It is packed in antioxidants that promote better functioning of the heart. A 100-gram bar of dark chocolate with 70–85% cocoa contains 11 grams of fiber, 67% of the RDI for iron, 58% of the RDI for magnesium, 89% of the RDI for copper, 98% of the RDI for manganese.
All these nutrients also come with 600 calories and moderate amounts of sugar. For this reason, dark chocolate comes under our list of the best food to gain weight and is best consumed in moderation as a snack.
Recipe for dark hot chocolate:
They are a good source of vitamin K, along with carbohydrates acting as high-calorie food for weight gain. The starch in potatoes enables the release of energy in the form of glucose.
Potatoes are the king of guilty pleasures: baked french fries, wedges or simply the good old jacket potato.
Jacket potatoes can be made easily as following:
The whole grains have a plethora of health benefits due to its low content of trans-fats and saturated fats.
The unsaturated fats provide healthy calories, along with the essential carbohydrates. Wheat, barley, and oats are staples in an everyday diet that can contribute as healthy food to gain weight.
There are many ways to eat cereal. Apart from bread, they can be eaten as porridge, pita or roti as a side dish.
Fish is an important food item on our list of food to gain weight fast. Seafood, like Salmon, is rich in omega fatty acids that contribute towards brain functioning.
Six ounces of salmon will contain about 240 calories, making it a good choice for those looking to gain weight. It also contains many nutrients, including omega-3 and protein.
A homemade butter garlic salmon is delicious. Make it with the following recipe:
Cheese is a good source of fat, protein, calcium, and calories. A person should select full-fat cheese since it is a food to increase weight.
Shredding moderate amounts of cheese in sandwiches, curries provides good calories that additionally build up in our body to assist weight gain.
Full-fat yogurt can also provide protein and nutrients.
Avoid flavoured yogurts and those with lower fat contents, as they often contain added sugars. Yogurt is a staple in our weight gain food list and can be eaten as a delicious salad dip:
Pasta can provide a calorically dense and carbohydrate-rich path to healthy weight gain.
Avoid bleached pasta, and opt for those made with whole grains. Making a fresh meal with whole-grain pasta recommended as a nutritious meal.
You can find a masala pasta recipe below:
Eaten historically and universally by muscle-builders, red meat provides both protein and fat, which promote weight gain.
For example: Steak contains both leucine and creatine, nutrients that play a significant role in boosting muscle mass. While a person is advised to limit their intake, leaner cuts of red meat are healthier for the heart than fattier cuts.
You can find a recipe for Indian lamb curry below:
Protein shakes can help a person to gain weight easily and efficiently. A shake is most effective at helping to build muscle if drunk shortly after a workout. Weight gain is achieved largely in part of the whey protein in shakes.
A chocolate banana peanut butter protein shake can be made by:
It offers a mix of fat, carbohydrates, and proteins. It is also an excellent source of vitamins and minerals, including calcium. The protein content of milk makes it a good choice for people trying to build muscle.
It is recommended to drink 2 glasses of milk per day.
Eggs are a good source of protein, healthy fat, and other nutrients. Most nutrients are contained in the yolk. The egg whites are a rich source of protein and help in muscle buildup.
A delicious cheese omelette can be prepared as follows:
Quinoa is high in fiber and high-quality protein. It contains more protein than any other grain while also packing in iron and potassium. Quinoa has 222 calories per serving, making it a suitable food for weight gain, with 39 grams of carbs and 4 grams of fat too. It also contains a small amount of omega-3 fatty acids.
Quinoa is one of the few plant-based complete proteins, having the 9 essential amino acids. Not only is it non-GMO, gluten-free, but it is also usually grown organically.
There are many tasty ways to eat quinoa like preparing quinoa fried rice with this recipe:
Plenty of weight gain fruits with high-calorie content help you gain weight and manage the healthy nutrients in the body. Below are mentioned some of the weight gain fruits:
Banana is a healthy and pretty good choice when you are likely to gain weight. Banana is enriched with high nutritional value and has plenty of healthy calories and carbs, making banana for weight gain an ideal choice.
Avocados have a rich profile with healthy fats and nutrients. According to dieticians, avocado for weight gain is one of the best fruits with a high nutritional ratio.
Mango is one of the delicious and impressive sources of calories that help to gain weight healthily. It is a sweet and nutrient-rich fruit that dieticians suggest to gain weight.
Coconut is a rich fruit and is considered the best food to gain weight quickly. It is highly enriched with healthy carbs, fat, and calories.
Dates are essential fruits enriched with high fiber, potassium, and magnesium. These cylindrical fruit found in tropical areas are highly recommended for weight gain.
Some nutrition-rich, high-calorie foods for weight gain support gaining weight, boosting overall energy, and increasing muscle density.
1. Potato: Potato for weight gain is one of the best choices if moving forward on a weight gain journey. These are rich in starch and glucose, which are rich in calories.
2. Rice: Rice is one of the ideal sources of weight gain, enriched with healthy calories and carbs. A cup of rice has 44 grams of carbs, 200 calories, and some fat.
3. Whole grain bread: It is a rich food that comprises a moderate quantity of proteins and a high amount of carbs. One hundred grams of whole-grain bread has 340 calories, 13.2 grams of proteins, and 2.5 grams of fat.
4. Milk: Milk is one of the ideal weight gain foods with a rich source of calcium, vitamins, minerals, calories, fats, and sugar.
5. Dark chocolate is the best source of dark chocolate, with 75 to 80 percent of cocoa. It helps in weight gain with 604 calories, 43.06 percent of fats, and 24.23gram of sugar.
There is a comprehensive list of high protein weight gain foods. High protein food build energy with weight gain. Protein food is known for healthy nutrition and providing high calories for weight gain. The protein-rich food items balance the body's nutritional element, allowing weight gain with energy and muscle building. According to a dietician, protein-rich food for weight gain help in balancing the calories and nutrition in the body.
1. Eggs: It is a great source of proteins and helps in weight gain quickly. With protein-rich nutrients, eggs are a rich source of vitamin D and good cholesterol.
2. Dairy products: Milk, cheese, and yogurt are rich sources of calories, fats, and carbs. Hence, among all the protein-rich food, it is the healthiest option for weight gain.
3. Fatty Fish: Fatty fish is one of the rich sources of proteins and fatty acids. It is a rich source of omega-3, which helps in frequent weight gain.
4. Dried fruits: According to a dietician, consuming dried fruits is the healthiest mode of weight gain. It is enriched with ample amounts of proteins, antioxidants, and calories.
5. Homemade protein smoothies: Homemade protein smoothies like banana nut shakes and chocolate hazelnut shake is a rich source of proteins, carbohydrates, and good carbs, which help in gaining weight.
Carbs are one of the best to increase weight while maintaining the body's nutritional elements. Carbs for weight gain help by increasing the calorie content in the body.
1. Rice is a rich source of carbs that helps in weight gain. You will get 44 grams of carbs and 204 calories in a single cup of rice. The body easily absorbs the carbs and helps in weight gain.
2. Sweet potatoes are an ideal weight gain source with a rich source of protein, starch and sugar, and fiber.
3. Kidney beans: These are the prime member of the legume family with 21.5 grams of carbs and are high in protein. It helps in frequent weight gain with high amounts of starch and fiber.
4. Chickpeas: according to a dietician, these are a rich source of carbs with healthy plant-based protein helping in weight gain. Per 100 grams of cooked chickpeas has 27.4 carbs which are adequate for weight gain.
Dry fruits are a rich source of essential oils, fibers, and fats. Hence gaining weight is quite easy, having a handful of dry fruits and nuts.
1. Almond: Almonds are the one miraculous food item if moving forward on a weight gain journey. Almond for weight gain helps it easily as it is rich in calories providing 170 gms in 1 small cup. The small cup of almonds also has 15 gms of healthy fats, 4 gms of fiber, and 6 gms of proteins.
2. Apricots: It is a good source of healthy proteins and carbs, which help in weight gain. Apricots have 240 calories per 100 grams, with additional minerals and vitamins for essential health benefits.
3. Raisins: It is an ideal dry fruit for weight gain as it has 300 calories per 100 grams and is derived from sugar and carbohydrates.
4. Figs: It is an energy-boosting dry fruit providing 200 calories per 100 grams, with additional high mineral and carbohydrate content. It also includes calcium, copper, and vital minerals.
5. Walnuts: Consuming walnuts is highly beneficial for quick weight gain, and a dietician recommends it for weight gain. It contains 14 grams of carbohydrates and 547 calories per 100 grams.
Weight gain for the female is a complex task as the female body constantly deals with hormonal changes. Some healthy foods to gain weight for females help to gain weight without disturbing the internal system. Because of hormonal variations, females deal with several dietary restrictions and limitations. Let us have a look over the weight gain food for women:
1. Milk: Milk is enriched with muscle-building and weight-gaining attributes. Hence having full cream milk and associate products will help females gain weight quickly and healthily.
2. Nuts: Nuts are a rich source of calories and energy. For females, it is an ideal weight gain source with healthy calories and additional protein and mineral content.
3. Cereals: Healthy cereals like multigrain, oats, granola, bran, etc., are enriched with a healthy source of nutrients and calories, which help in frequent weight gain in females.
4. Rice: With the dense calories and good carb profile, rice is the best economic source of weight gain in females. It provides all healthy calories with additional minerals and proteins.
5. Dark chocolate: It is the best food that is recommended for weight gain. It has plenty of calories and high antioxidants, empowering healthy weight gain.
Pregnancy is a complex phase when gaining weight through a healthy and nutrition-rich source is necessary. Let us discuss the weight gainer food during pregnancy:
1. Peanut Butter: It is the best and one of the healthy foods to gain weight for pregnant females. One tbsp of peanut butter provides 100 calories and 3.5 gms of proteins.
2. Milk is one of the ideal foods for weight gain during pregnancy. It is a rich source of calcium with healthy protein and carbs, which is good for female and fetal health.
3. Pulses: These are a good source of healthy proteins and carbohydrates. Dieticians recommend the pregnant ladies have it necessarily for weight gain.
4. Chicken: For gaining weight during pregnancy, having lean meat is helpful as it has a high quantity of good fats and proteins.
5. Avocados: It is the best food with high-calorie content and excellent nutrition. It provides high calories and enriches with vitamins, minerals, and plenty of healthy plant compounds.
The high-fat foods for weight gain contain rich fats that help increase calories with healthy proteins. Therefore, dieticians advise the intake of fatty foods for weight gain quickly.
1. Salmon Fish: It is enriched with many healthy fat and proteins. Salmon and oily fish also have omega-3 fatty acids, making them one of the best weight-gaining foods. A 160 gram of fatty fish contains 12 gms of healthy fats and 250 calories.
2. Potato: It is a high source of fat and is highly helpful in gaining weight frequently. In addition, it has plenty of starch and good carbs, which are helpful in healthy weight gain.
3. Dry fruits: All dry fruits are rich in fats and carbs. Hence, they are rich in antioxidants and provide high calories.
4. Cereals: Cereals are one of the best sources of fats and minerals which help in weight gain. With the high amount of fats, these are a rich source of minerals and vitamins.
5. Eggs: These are one of the best foods with good fats and high proteins. It is why a dietician highly recommends it for weight gain.
Men need high-calorie foods for weight gain, muscle, and strength. Hence there are some high-calorie weight gain foods for men prescribed for men.
1. Red Meat: It is the best weight gain food that helps muscle building. Red meat is highly enriched with amino acids. One hundred seventy grams of steak comprises 450 calories and 49 grams of protein.
2. Salmon and oily fish: For men, it is the best food for weight gain, with an ample number of proteins and healthy fats. It also comprises omega-3 fatty acids, which help in easy weight gain.
3. Milk: This is a high-profile and nutrient-rich source for weight gain for men. Milk is enriched with good fats, proteins, glucose, and carbohydrates.
4. Eggs are considered a high protein and rich nutrient profile. It is why it is an ideal source of weight gain in men.
5. Dry fruits: Consuming dry fruits like almonds, raisins, apricots, etc., can be highly helpful in weight gain. Most dry fruits are enriched with good fats, carbs, and antioxidants.
Many shakes help you in healthily gain weight. This is because all the shakes are enriched with a high nutrient profile and helpful in frequent weight gain. They all have ample proteins, vitamins, potassium, antioxidants, etc. Below are some highly effective weight gain foods. Let us have a look:
● Banana Shake: The banana shake is the best to gain weight; rich in fats and potassium content with a healthy nutrition profile. Banana shake for weight gain is highly recommended for females and children.
●Hazelnut Chocolate Shake: Hazelnuts and chocolates are rich sources of fats, proteins, and calories. Hence it helps effectively in gaining weight quickly.
● Berry Vanilla Shake: Berries are enriched with healthy fats and carbs, while vanilla is a good source of healthy calories. Hence this could be a great choice for a weight gain journey.
●Apple Caramel Shake: Apple is a healthy fruit enriched with high proteins and carbs. Mixing it will caramel will make it a high source of good fats and calories, helping in quick weight gain.
Eating junk foods won’t make you gain weight, but it can make your health worse. One should always be not in a hurry to gain weight because that increases tension in oneself. Everybody knows that there are foods to gain weight for females. Still, very few know that weight does not come only through eating, but you have to maintain your mental and physical health. When thinking about how to be fat, there are several weight gain tips that you can follow to gain weight. They are:-
However, it isn’t always a modern saying, as a substitute for a pretty old one, that the secret of desirable health lies no longer just in wholesale, tasty meals but also in lots of sleep. Sleep performs a critical position now, not just to your intellect nicely-being all through the day. However, it has also been scientifically demonstrated to contribute to digestion and the overall metabolic process.
Incorporating yoga in your day-to-day life helps in stress, stabilizes your sleep patterns, and uplifts your intellectual and emotional health. Practising yoga regularly may additionally cause a boom in muscular electricity and patience. Whether you gain weight will depend on your weight-reduction plan and the alternative resistance-fashion physical games for your standard fitness recurring. Yoga patterns like Vinyasa and Ashtanga are extensively known for enhancing muscular energy. Regular practice of Vinyasa will build power by way of the usage of your frame weight as resistance. In addition, it is crucial to pay attention to poses that use huge muscle businesses, which enables increased exercise.
The extra energy will bulk up onto the muscle instead of the abdomen or other components if a character performs regular weightlifting. The following exercises can be proven worthy for weight gain:-
Push ups are easy and help construct muscle in your hands and shoulders. To do push-ups:
All you will need is a few kinds of pullup bars or robust cylindrical items to do pullups. This exercise is a simple way to construct arm and shoulder muscle tissue.
Smoking is unfavourable to your fitness because it first tampers along with your respiratory fitness and later traverses its manner to a standard loss of weight and efficient body features.
Additionally, your capacity to smell and flavour foods improve after you give up smoking. It can make food more attractive, which may also lead you to devour greater. And in case you substitute snacking for smoking, the energy can also speed up.
Weight gaining is essential for skinny females, but weight gaining does not mean that you have to be fat to gain weight because fatness brings problems; if you have to gain weight in a good way, you have to maintain your diet. Gaining weight means being healthy and not being too fat.
Stop stressing about how to be fat, first stop stressing out that you are skinny; stress leads to more weight loss. Be calm and just follow the diets that are mentioned above. There are also many protein powders for weight gain, but they have lots of side effects like thirst, reduced appetite, nausea, headache and tiredness when eating high doses. Stop stressing about weight gain tips, first focus on yourself, firstly start being happy, stop overthinking.
The weight gain journey seems complicated, but a proper diet and routine can help you with the precise amount of healthy fats and calories. Below is the listed diet chart for 1 day.
As you can see from our list of healthy food for weight gain, it is quite easy to be healthy, eat tasty and bulk up your body at the same time. The food and the nutrients exist; it is up to you to make the most out of it and work towards a consciously healthier body.
The next time you’re looking for a quick fix and wondering what to eat to gain weight without compromising on health, this is the list you need.
You can roast the pumpkin seed and have it as a snack for weight gain. Mixing it in shakes and smoothies is also an effective choice. This will help to ineffective weight gain. Mixing its paste with vegetables will make it tasty and ideal for weight gain.
Cashews and almonds are best for weight gain as they have a high amount of fats, carbs, and proteins, effectively increasing calories. Apart from these, dried apricots, dates, figs, and pistachios are rich in good fats and calories, which help in frequent weight gain.
Flax and pumpkin seeds are best for weight gain because they contain high values of fatty acids and carbs, increasing weight quickly. In addition, all the seeds have a good quantity of healthy oils, proteins, and carbohydrates, which dieticians recommend for weight gain with easy and healthy consumption.
You can have milk, homemade protein shakes, red meat, beans, rice, potato, nuts, etc., to gain weight. Dieticians also recommend eating fatty fish, chicken, whole grain cereals, nuts, dark chocolate, etc. are an ideal choice for weight gain. All this food is used in many ways for gaining weight.
Whole grain bread is a perfect choice for weight gain as it comprises high calories and is well-balanced with all the protein-based foods. It is enriched with good fats and proteins and helps to provide a high amount of calories which support weight gain.
Food enriched with carbs, fats, glucose, starch, fatty acids, oils, and calories is good for weight gain. In addition, all the foods enriched with good fats and high proteins are ideal for weight gain as it promotes good cholesterol and healthy well-being.
You can eat raw almonds in a specific quantity for weight gain. You can also roast it and have it as a snack. Mixing it with smoothies, shakes, and snacks will help you gain weight. Mixing it with desserts will also help in gaining weight.
Rice is a good source of rich carbs, fat, and calories. Hence it is a good choice for weight gain. Moreover, rice is the most economical source of good fats and carbohydrates, which help in gaining weight easily. It is why rice suits everyone to gain weight with no extra effort.
Potato is a starch-based food with a good amount of glycogen. Hence it is a perfect food for weight gain in less time. Potato is enriched with starch and good fats, which help to gain weight easily and frequently. Potato can be used in multiple ways to gain weight.
When you join our subscribe list, you get access to the best of sports inspiration, tips, stories and more to practice your sport. Just One Digest Per Month (Promise)
Please subscribe here