Ever thought of what it feels like to fly on a water surface? Yes, it is possible to fly on water surfaces through Kitesurfing. Kitesurfing is one of the fastest-growing sports considering its thrill factors throughout the ride. It is fun, very quick to learn, and above all, it's an exciting sport. But how to begin it in the first place? How to learn Kitesurfing, and what skills are required to ace it?
Well, here are the kitesurfing lessons for beginners. From being a beginner to a professional in Kitesurfing, here is the compiled information on Kitesurfing. Learn about the guide for Kitesurfing and just get started.
One of the fastest-growing water sports in the world, Kitesurfing. If you have ever come across people with crescent-shaped kites soaring along the coastlines of the sea, you would have witnessed Kitesurfing. While some claim it was invented in France, and few others say it is in Hawaii, the dispute remains. Wherever it was invented, the sport has gotten the attention of people worldwide.
There are many other styles involved with Kitesurfing, it is done with different boards and kites, but people are pushing boundaries to enjoy the ride over a snow-filled mountain because all we need is wind to experience the ride.
What is Kitesurfing?
Kitesurfing is one of the coolest sports to be experimented on the water's surface. It is a wind-powered sport that uses kites and boards to move across the water. It just requires mighty wind and water to experience the thrill involved in the sport. It does not need high tide waves; it can be done over flat, low waves and the sea surface. It consists of a lot of fun during the learning stage, but once you have mastered Kitesurfing, you can experiment with higher speed, jumping along with waves, and freestyling tricks.
There are several other reasons to kitesurf. For those enjoying an adrenaline rush, kitesurfing lessons become a real sport.
Firstly, It opens a new door for experiencing the world of travel destinations. It lets you experience the beauty of nature and is also a step closer to nature. It would always foster a love for the sea.
Secondly, its therapeutic activity. Kitesurfing is an excellent activity for mental well-being. As you step out in the sea, the sun gives you Vitamin D, which helps you fight against depression, and just by doing your favourite activity, there is the secretion of happy hormones within the body known as endorphins. Kitesurfing is a perfect sport for stress relief.
Thirdly, they build up strength within your body, helping you increase concentration; multitasking becomes easy.
Kitesurfing for beginners requires instructors and kitesurfing lessons, to begin with. Later, it is all about applying those learned skills on the water surface.
What Equipment is Required for Kitesurfing?
Kitesurfing equipment is essential for the ride. When it comes to matters of safety, this kitesurfing equipment becomes a life saviour for the riders. Over the years, there has been a lot of improvement regarding safety standards. These kitesurfing equipment must be suitable for extreme wind conditions. Here is the list of equipment required for Kitesurfing:
- Board- Helps you to skate on the water's surface. Boards come in different sizes and shapes. The most popular boards are twin-tip, directional boards, and foil boards. The most common one used by the riders is the twin tip.
- Helmet- For the protection of the head, it protects your head from falling off a kite, swinging board, and other sorts of water impact.
- Life Jacket- Helps you float on water.
- Kite- Kitesurfing kites are the most essential requirement. It comes in different sizes and shapes. The kite is the wing that helps travel along with the wind. There are two main categories of kites, namely LEI and Foil.
- LEI Kites: The LEI Kites are mostly C-shaped hybrids, SLE or Delta or Bow. They are flown using a control bar. Unlike foil kites, they are much easier to fly and relaunch, even in gusty winds.
- Foil Kites: Foil Kites take up the shape of airflow, mostly ARC and bridled shape. They generate more power and operate in higher winds. It is the shape of foil kites that differentiates them from LEI kites.
- Bar- Bar is the equipment used to steer the kite floating in the air from the water's surface. Help you from left to right and vice versa.
- Harness: There are two harnesses, a seat harness and a waist harness. Beginners often use seat harnesses. Waist harnesses do not have leg straps and work better for jumping.
- Safety Leash: It is an essential piece of equipment that works for safety. Leash is connected to the harness and the bar.
- Wet suit: Wetsuit must be comfortable in water, depending on the temperature.
How to kitesurf: Step-by-Step Guide
Kitesurfing is the process of flying a kite on a skating board. Understanding this process has already taken you halfway; the other half is about experiencing and experimenting. A 3-day course that takes about 4 hours a day is sufficient for you to ride confidently. Enjoy the ride, get comfortable with water and wind. Here is the 5-step guide to learning about Kitesurfing lessons:
- Step 1: Use a trainer kite: A trainer's kite is sufficient for beginners. It has about 2-3m of traction that helps you learn the basics of Kitesurfing as you just start. If you learn to master the art with a trainer kite, you will save a lot of time.
- Step 2: Make use of an old skating board: If you have one, it is time to dig out that old skating board to the light. It would be best if you got comfortable with the board to get control. It is the board that keeps you balanced and not the kite. To look for a fast track, go to the nearest ski centre and get comfortable with the wakeboard.
- Step 3: Learn from kitesurfing videos: There is a lot of scope for knowledge; while you look at the instruction videos of Kitesurfing, they give you guidance and confidence to get into the field. The progress in learning becomes faster, and mastering the tricks essential for the rider. These videos guide you on kite setup, launching and landing the kits, self-rescue and relaunching the kites, learning about changing direction, staying upwind, etc.
- Step 4: Catch hold of an instructor: This is undoubtedly an important step. For you to progress quickly yet safely, there is a need for an instructor. Just by appointing an instructor, you will cut down the time on learning. Teaching yourself is, of course, a great start, but for you to prevent accidents and also learn about survival, there is a need for an instructor. Level up your skill and learn about the tricks to avoid accidents from a survivor. Also, these kitesurfing schools shall have access to loads of gear to help you ride skillfully.
- Step 5: Kitesurfing gear adaptation: Kitesurfing for beginners may be challenging on the very first attempt. Also, a trainer's kite might be a stricter process. But also using kitesurfing gear from the school helps you get a good thrashing. Also, if you're new to Kitesurfing, buying the new kit at the beginning is not advisable; sync in with the sports to get a brand new kit. Adapt yourself with kitesurfing gear before you buy a new one for yourself.
Required Skills to do Kitesurfing
Kitesurfing for beginners requires specific skills to make the surfing a successful one:
- Fitness: The rider must meet the basic fitness parameter for the ride to be safe and fun. Fitness ensures balance and concentration in the later stage. A basic level of fitness is required for Kitesurfing. Your muscles must be activated for you to enjoy the ride. People of all sizes can enjoy the ride but ensure to feel relaxed. The harness supports your body from the pull of a kite, so the ride will not be hard on your body; instead, it will be an experience for a lifetime.
- Balance: Kitesurfing is more about balancing than physical strength. While you get the confidence to balance the board along with the wind flow, that is the point you have mastered the art of balancing the board as you change direction with balance and body. While it can initially be challenging for people to balance, patience will take a long way. But inform your instructor beforehand if you have any health issues to help you balance.
- Confidence: Confidence is an important skill that controls your mind and body. Telling off the board while learning is good, but you can pick yourself back and get moving. It is that confidence you have to bring to the ride. Overcoming the stage of panicking reduces the work because your confidence helps you pick up and open a new door of learning.
Advantages of Kitesurfing
Kitesurfing is a phenomenal sport that helps your body physically and mentally. It gives you more than just burning out calories. Here are the advantages of Kitesurfing:
- Toning the body: The upper area, such as the arms and abdomen, are the significant parts that get toned by doing the activity. It strengthens your arms while you board to ride and your arms while directing the bar.
- Keeps your heart healthy: Kitesurfing is a mixture of aerobics and exercise. The act balances your weight, tones your body, and keeps your heart healthy.
- Increases the level of concentration: While you do multitasking with Kitesurfing, such as balancing the board with legs, handling the kite with the bar by holding with hands, and balancing the wind through the body. It increases the concentration level.
- Stress reliever: This fun water sport will be your stress reliever because the adrenaline rush is higher in this sport.
- Balances: It improves the balancing aspect while you ride the board.
- Immunity booster: Reducing stress directly boosts your immunity by releasing the happy hormone.
- Better adaptability: Complete jumping, body movement, increases reflex on the body.
- Networking: You get to be a part of the community, improving your communication ability and expanding networking.
- A whole new experience: Kitesurfing will give you a unique experience that you haven't felt before. You can witness happiness through the ride.
Kitesurfing Safety Tips
Here are the safety tips to be followed for Kitesurfing:
- Ensure to kite along with another person
- While you go alone, get to know the means of signaling for help
- Never exceed the distance beyond which you cannot swim back
- Be well prepared for equipment failure
- Check the tide level and weather report before you start
- Cross-check with other riders regarding the types of kites and which is the correct size to ride
- Always inform someone about your riding along with the timings so that you get help just in case of any emergency
- Follow the safety advice as per the governing body
Kitesurfing is a kite festival on the water's surface. Experts say, “Try to relax and feel the wind and kite, as being tense and rushing shall block the progression”. We hope the guide, kitesurfing for Beginners, helped you overcome your doubts. It is a fantastic water sport for everyone to indulge in learning and experiencing by themselves. Hope you succeed in Kitesurfing and transmit your passion to others.
Frequently Asked Questions
- How fit do you need to be for Kitesurfing?
The rider need not be superfit to do Kitesurfing. The sport is about balancing and does not require muscle strength. Minimum shall help you progress faster.
- How many days does it take to learn Kitesurfing?
With about 6-12 hours of kitesurfing lessons, you can figure out the basics of Kitesurfing. Minimum of 3 days, riding with confidence will help you kickstart the journey of Kitesurfing.
- Is kitesurfing hard on the knees?
Kitesurfing can be challenging on the knees. If mishandled, it can injure your knees. But if done correctly, it is accessible to everyone.