How to Build Muscles Without Any Equipment?
At home or on holiday, make the most of every moment to build your muscles! Simple, effective and fast, these 5 equipment-free weight training exercises will become your go-to exercises for building muscle.
Check out our instructions for properly completing these 5 exercises: chair, triceps, twist crunches, unilateral sumo squats, wide press-ups. Enjoy your workout!
Romain, our bodybuilding specialist, advises you to perform these exercises without equipment 3 times a week, with a day of rest between each session. Each exercise involves 30 seconds of effort. Recover for 30 seconds and move on to the next exercise. Repeat the circuit 5 times in total. During the 30 seconds of effort that you will repeat, you will have to be as dynamic as possible. You will need to perform a large number of repetitions.
- 1 minute of light skipping with a skipping rope
- 30 seconds of running on spot with high knees
- Centre of the body: 30 seconds of front and side plank exercises
Exercise 1: The Chair
- Objective: strengthening the muscles of the thighs.
- Exercise: lean against a wall with your hands alongside the body and thighs parallel to the floor. Bend your legs and try to hold the chair position for 1 minute.
- Breathing: breathe slowly and deeply.
- Safety instructions: the abs are contracted to protect the back which must remain pressed against the wall throughout the exercise.
- Variant: to complicate the exercise, cross one leg over the other and hold the position for 30 seconds on each side.
Exercise 2: Triceps
- Objective: building up the triceps.
- Exercise: stand up facing a wall with your feet spread hip-width apart and put your hands at shoulder height (lower them if you want to increase the difficulty of the exercise). Bend your arms until your forearms are touching the wall. Then return to the initial position. Repeat several times.
- Breathing: breathe in during the descent, breathe out as you return to the start position.
- Safety instructions: contract your abs by tucking in your stomach during the movement. Be careful not to arch your back.
Exercise 3: Twist Crunches
- Objective: strengthening the oblique muscles (abs).
- Exercise: lie down on your back, bend your legs and tilt them to the left. Place your hands near your ears and then, smoothly and without momentum, lift the upper body off the ground until you cannot go any higher. Return to the starting position and then repeat.
- Safety instructions: keep your eyes focused on a fixed point high up and far away. Do not pull on your head with your hands.
Exercise 4: Wide Press-Ups
- Objective: building the pecs
- Exercise: with your hands flat on the ground, spread apart by more than the width of your shoulders, your fingers spread out and pointing forwards. The feet are hip-width apart. Contract and raise the body by extending the arms. The body must be straight with the head aligned with the body. Lower the body to the ground by bending your elbows and then return to the original position by extending your arms. Repeat the exercise.
- Breathing: breathe in as you descend towards the ground. Breathe out at the end of the upward motion.
- Safety instructions: keep your body straight and contract the abs throughout the exercise. Control the movement to slow down the descent.