Are you a volleyball player or a huge fan of the game? Or are you someone who wishes to make it big in this sport and is currently looking forward to learning more about it? Or are you a quizzing enthusiast who wishes to know all about the volleyball court measurement, the rules and the A to Z of the game? If your answer to any of these is yes, then you have landed at the right place. This article will be your ultimate guide about the game of volleyball which is a favourite among sports enthusiasts.
Volleyball is an outdoor or indoor sport that is played on a court between two teams. The volleyball teams have 6 players each who are separated by a net. The game is played based on rules that we will discuss with you further in this article. The game has its roots in the United States of America, where it was only created as a pastime and could be played by any number of players. Volleyball is of three different types, and the game is also played in the Olympics. Volleyball was played in the Olympics for the first time in Tokyo in 1964. A modified version of volleyball is also played in the Paralympics.
In this article about the measurement and dimensions of a volleyball court, we will discuss the volleyball layout, the net measurements, the rules of this game, and other informative details about the game.
Table Of Contents
As we look at the game of volleyball in terms of the technical details of the volleyball court, we will be sharing with you information like size of the court, volleyball net height, the rules of the game and much more. In this article, you can read about the following topics:
- Types of the volleyball court
- Indoor volleyball court dimensions (Official FIVB volleyball court dimensions)
- Beach volleyball court dimensions
- Volleyball rules and scoring
- Volleyball net dimensions (male, female, etc.)
- Frequently asked questions about volleyball court measurements
Types Of The Volleyball Court
The game of volleyball can be played indoors or outdoors. The game is also played on beeches and in the snow. Sitting volleyball, an adapted version of volleyball, is played in the Paralympics.
Indoor volleyball courts are of different types. These types depend on the type of surface or the type of flooring. The two types of floor are Sprung flooring and Vinyl Sports Floor. The sprung floor is also known as a floating flooring.
Volleyball courts can be traditional hardwood courts, synthetic volleyball courts and court tile surfaces. In the upcoming sections of this article, we will be looking at the specific measurements in detail, like the volleyball court size in feet, the net height and the basic set of rules.
Indoor Volleyball Court Dimensions (Official FIVB Volleyball Court Dimensions)
FIVB is the acronym for Fédération Internationale de Volleyball, which translates to International Volleyball Federation in English. It is the international governing body for all forms of the game of volleyball on a global level. The headquarters of the FIVB is located in Lausanne, Switzerland. The FIVB aims to develop the game of volleyball as a major world media and entertainment sport.
As per the official guidelines of the International Volleyball Federation, the FIVB, the following is the indoor volleyball layout:
- The playing area of the volleyball court must be rectangular and symmetrical.
- The playing court and free zone are included in the playing area.
- The volleyball court size in meters is 18 m by 9 m.
- A free zone on all sides must surround this playing court, which must be at least 3 m wide.
- The volleyball court size in feet is 59 feet by 29 feet 6 inches.
Beach Volleyball Court Dimensions
The game of volleyball can also be played on a beach. This is called beach volleyball, and the beach volleyball layout is comparatively different from that of an indoor volleyball court. The following are the details about the beach volleyball court:
- Beach volleyball is played on a sand court. The court must be rectangular in shape.
- The beach volleyball court size in meters is 16 m by 8 m.
- This rectangular court must be surrounded by a free zone which must be at least 3 m wide.
- In feet, the dimensions of this court are 52.5 feet by 26.2 feet.
Volleyball Rules And Scoring
The rules of volleyball are not very difficult to understand. The game is played based on the following rules:
- There must be 6 players in each team, of which 3 must be in the front row and 3 in the back row.
- The ball must be served from behind the end line.
- A player cannot hit the ball twice.
- Rally scoring is used in this game.
- The game is played to 25 points, and the winning team must win by 2 points.
- The ball must not be hit by carrying, palming or throwing.
Volleyball Net Dimensions (Male, Female, etc.)
The net’s height for a volleyball game remains the same, whether it is an indoor game or a beach game. The volleyball net height varies only depending on whether the match is for men or women. The top of the volleyball net for a men’s game must be 2.43 metres above the court. The same must be 2.24 meters for a volleyball game for women. The height varies for a game of juniors or veterans.
Frequently Asked Questions About Volleyball Court Measurements
1. What is the official size of a volleyball court?
The size of a volleyball court is 18 metres by 9 metres.
2. What height is the volleyball net?
The height of a volleyball net is 2.43 metres for a men’s game and 2.24 metres for a women’s game.
3. What is the weight of a volleyball?
The weight of the volleyball must be between 260 g and 280 g.
4. How many players are in a volleyball team?
There are 6 players in each team in volleyball.
5. How long is a volleyball game?
The game of volleyball lasts between 60 to 90 minutes and is played in a set of best 2 in 3.
As we conclude this article about volleyball court measurement, we hope this guide will have helped you better understand the game’s technicalities and learn more about the volleyball court and its details.