Are you a camping enthusiast or have frequent camping trips, you must always be finding gear and equipment that you must invest in for a better camping experience. One such piece of gear that you must surely look forward to adding to your camping kit is sleeping bags for camping. Whether you go on camping trips regularly or you are looking forward to your first camping trip soon, a sleeping bag is a must-have for you. It will not only help you sleep more comfortably but also keep you warm if you are camping in a cold place. How do you choose a sleeping bag that is perfect for you?
Finding the best sleeping bags for camping will require you to consider certain factors. In this article, we will be discussing with you sleeping bags in detail. We will share with you the different types of sleeping bags, how you can select the right sleeping bag and how you can take care of your sleeping bag properly. We will also give you some of the best options that you can choose from when shopping for sleeping bags.
When you go camping or backpacking or trekking, you must be all set to experience anything and everything. You may or may not get a very comfortable stay compared to your cosy home. The outdoors can be adventurous but no matter how many adventures you are ready for, sleeping comfortably is important. A warm space to sleep in a cold camping spot or a cold place to sleep on a hot camping trip is all you need at the end of your tiring day. Sleeping well at night also helps you get refreshed and recharged for all the activities the next day. A sleeping bag is essential camping gear equipment that helps you sleep comfortably even when camping or trekking.
Choosing your first sleeping bag can be a little tricky. You might have to go through a variety of options, compare multiple features and then based on some factors, choose the option that suits you the best. In this article, we will be helping you with everything related to sleeping bags. We will help you find the best camping sleeping bag by sharing with you all the aspects of this piece of equipment and giving you an idea of what kind of sleeping bags are available for you. By the end of this article, you will be able to identify the different types of sleeping bags and also make an informed choice for your camping trips.
Different Types Of Sleeping Bags
When going camping or backpacking, sleeping comfortably is important to ensure that you get enough rest to recharge and refresh for the next day’s adventures. A sleeping bag must be high-quality and season-appropriate. The right bag will keep you cool in a warm camping spot and keep you warm in a cold camping spot. There are different types of sleeping bags that are available for trekkers and campers. Let us begin by looking at these types to understand which type of sleeping bag will suit you the best.
The most traditional sleeping bags that you can opt for are rectangular sleeping bags. This kind of sleeping bag offers plenty of room for you to stretch, roll over and sleep comfortably. These sleeping bags are larger compared to other types of sleeping bags but the heat retention is quite low. If the weather where you are camping is warm, a rectangular sleeping bag is a good option. A rectangular sleeping bag is therefore a good sleeping bag for summer camping also. Even if the weather is too hot, you can unzip this bag and use it as a comforter.
When it comes to design, a semi-rectangular bag is quite similar in shape to a mummy sleeping bag. These sleeping bags are available in a variety of shapes and are also known as barrel or modified mummy sleeping bags. Compared to a rectangular sleeping bag, this type of sleeping bag is more slender, tapered at the bottom and round at the top. Despite this shape, this sleeping bag does not conform completely to the shape of your body which is a feature of the mummy sleeping bag. Maintaining the right balance between heat retention and roominess, a semi-rectangular sleeping bag is a great winter camping sleeping bag unless the weather is frigid.
Offering you a snug fit, mummy sleeping bags are good for heat retention. Mummy sleeping bags are hooded and they conform to the shape of the human body. The downside of this sleeping bag is that there is no room for you to stretch or rollover. If you do roll, you end up rolling with your sleeping bag. This fitted sleeping bag can keep you warm in very cold conditions too. The bag minimises the amount of air present inside which makes it possible for your body heat to quickly warm all the space around. A mummy sleeping bag is much lighter in weight compared to some other types of sleeping bags. This makes it a suitable backpacking sleeping bag.
The best camping sleeping bag for professional mountaineers and extreme campers is the elephant’s foot sleeping bag. These bags are shorter in length and do not cover the shoulder of the person using them. The camper is supposed to be sleeping with a warm-down jacket on to protect the upper body from the cold. These sleeping bags do not have zippers but have elasticated cords to attach the bag to your body in case of harsh weather conditions. This bag is also quite lightweight which makes it a favourable option for backpackers and frequent movers.
When choosing sleeping bags, adults and children will have different sleeping bag sizes and may be different colours and prints. The sleeping bags made for kids are usually shorter and smaller but they are available in all the different shapes that are available for adults.
What To Keep In Mind When Selecting A Sleeping Bag?
Now that you know what are the different types of sleeping bags for camping, you should know that there are certain factors that you must consider when choosing a sleeping bag. When choosing between the different shapes, you can compare the roominess and heat retention but when finalising the bag you must choose, you must keep in mind the following factors:
- Type of insulation: if you have ever looked for sleeping bags online or even checked out the options at a store, you will come across terms like synthetic or down sleeping bags. These are the two types of insulation that are available for this camping equipment.
Down sleeping bags are lightweight, can be easily compressed and are durable. These bags have water-resistant treatment which makes them suitable for cold and dry weather conditions.
Synthetic insulation sleeping bags are affordable and fast drying. These bags are non-allergenic and will continue to keep you warm even if the bag is wet.
- Shape and weight of the bag: if you are going backpacking, the best sleeping bags for you will be bags that are lighter in weight. Even if you are flying to the camping destination, the weight of the bag is important. Depending on how heavy your sleeping bag can be, you must choose the shape of your sleeping bag.
- Zippers and cords: zippers are important for a sleeping bag and are placed around such that you can zip or unzip them for managing ventilation. Cords on the other hand are present in sleeping bags that do not have zippers to help you attach yourself to the bag in harsh weather conditions.
- Pockets: pockets in a sleeping bag allow you to easily place your things like phones, chargers, watches or nightlights while you sleep to ensure they are safe and easily reachable.
Sleeping Bag Temperature Ratings Explained
Another important factor to be considered when buying a sleeping bag is the temperature rating of the bag. The temperature rating helps you identify the range of weather conditions where the sleeping bag performs the best. Every single sleeping bag is tested and rated separately. Based on this testing, it is determined whether your sleeping bag is a summer or a winter camping sleeping bag. For example, a 15 degrees Fahrenheit sleeping bag will keep the sleeper warm at 15 degrees or above but not below it. The following range descriptions will help you understand this better.
- Comfort range: the temperatures in this range are comfortable for a cold sleeper.
- Transition range: in this temperature range, a warm sleeper will feel warm. While this is not a very comfortable range, the sleeper will not be shivering.
- Extreme range: in this range, the weather conditions are frigid and you will feel extreme sensations of cold. Only extreme-temperature sleeping bags should be used in such camping places.
Different Sleeping Bags For Each Season
Did you know that there are different sleeping bags that you can take camping in different seasons? A sleeping bag for summer camping will be different from the one used for winter. There is also a three-season sleeping bag that can be useful for spring, fall and summer. In this section, we will give you an idea about the features of a sleeping bag that you will need for different seasons.
- There must be a balance between warmth and ventilation.
- The bag must keep you cool during the day and warm at night if required.
- Temperature range of 35 degrees Fahrenheit or higher.
- A temperature rating of 10 degrees Fahrenheit or lower.
- Snug-fit sleeping bags with insulation.
- A bag that can handle moisture and cold weather.
- Temperature ratings between 15 to 35 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Weather conditions are unpredictable, hence sleeping bags must be versatile.
- Three-season sleeping bags might help.
- Unpredictable weather conditions might require you to have a versatile sleeping bag.
- A three-season sleeping bag is a good option.
- A temperature rating of 15 to 35 degrees Fahrenheit is suitable for fall camping.
Best Sleeping Bags For Camping In 2023
It is now time for you to do a quick market tour of the best sleeping bags for camping. There is a wide variety of options available in terms of brands, types and other features that might make the process a little challenging for you. In this section, we will share with you only what is the best. Here we will be listing the top 3 sleeping bags for camping in 2023 that you must check out.
One of the best sleeping bags for camping in cold weather, the ARPENAZ 10 degrees camping sleeping is the first product on our list. This sleeping bag has a comfort temperature of 10 degrees and the lower limit is 5 degrees. This 1300 g and 5 litres volume bag has a full-length zipper and the dimensions of this bag are 190 cm x 72 cm. The outer fabric and lining of this sleeping bag are 100% polyester and the price of this sleeping bag on Decathlon is Rs. 1,799.
Up next on our list of the best sleeping bags is the Arpenaz 20 degrees sleeping bag. This sleeping bag priced at Rs. 900 has a comfort temperature of 20 degrees and a lower limit of 15 degrees. The dimensions of this sleeping bag are 190 cm x 72 cm and it has a full-length zipper. The weight of this sleeping bag is only 755 g and the volume is 9 litres. This bag can be washed in a machine following the care instructions. The outer lining and fabric of this sleeping bag are 100% polyester.
The last product on our list of the best sleeping bags for camping in 2023 is the Arpenaz 15 degrees sleeping bag. The comfort temperature of this bag is 15 degrees while the lower limit can go down to 8 degrees. The bag has a full-length zip and the dimensions of this bag are 190 cm x 72 cm. The weight of this bag is 1150 g and the volume is 12 litres. The outer fabric and lining of this bag are 100% polyester and it is priced at Rs. 1,299 at Decathlon.
Care And Storage Tips For Your Sleeping Bag
Before making a final choice, you must always check out the range of sleeping bags that are suitable for you. Once you make your decision, you must not only use the sleeping bag the right way but also know how to store the bag properly and ensure that the bag is clean and in good condition. This section is a little cheat code for you. Here we will be looking at some tips to help you safely clean and store your sleeping bags for camping.
- Air your sleeping bag in the sun every day during the camping trip.
- Air dry your bag on a washing line once you are back from the camping trip.
- If your bag gets wet in the rain, you must make sure you dry your bag well and do not store it unless completely dry.
- The stuff-sack bag that your sleeping bag came in is good to store your sleeping bag in when you are travelling as it makes things handier.
- Keeping your sleeping bag in this stuff-sack when storing it at home for long periods can damage your sleeping bag.
- Wash your bag only and only when it is necessary. Follow the care instructions on the sleeping bag when washing. Spot-clean any patches before you get ahead with the washing process.
- Hand wash the sleeping bag and avoid washing machines to clean your sleeping bag.
A sleeping bag is one of the major requirements if you are going camping, no matter which season you choose for the same. There are many different types of sleeping bags that can be used by you for camping. In the previous sections of this article, we have looked at the factors to consider while choosing which type of sleeping bag suits you. As we conclude, we hope that this article would have helped you understand sleeping bags for camping better. We have also shared with you some of the best options that you can choose from when making a purchase.
A sleeping bag is a great investment if you regularly go camping. You can choose a sleeping bag based on your requirements and find various options that suit you. If you have any questions related to the best sleeping bags, you must check out this section. Here we have looked at some of the most commonly asked questions related to sleeping bags. For your convenience, we will be answering these questions in detail to help solve your doubts.
- How important is the sleeping bag in camping?
When you go camping, a sleeping bag helps you stay warm when you sleep inside it. The heat released by the body is trapped in the sleeping bag to keep you warm.
- How warm of a sleeping bag do you really need?
Depending on how warm or how cold the place where you are going camping will be will help you decide how warm a sleeping bag you will need.
- How cold can a sleeping bag handle?
A sleeping bag can handle temperatures as low as -40 degrees celsius. The temperature rating of your sleeping bag will help you figure out how cold your sleeping bag can handle.