The cold showers after the hot summers are bliss. The summer months in all parts of the country are very hot and with temperatures touching almost half-century, it becomes really difficult to even move put in the day or leave the house or office or any other indoor space. The arrival of the monsoon and the first shower is really a blessing for the people in the country as it brings in the much required relief from the heat. The rains and the monsoons are also extremely important for the agriculture in India. India is a country where a very large number of people are employed in this sector and hence rains are essential for a good crop and a better economy as well. Rains are also a time when flora and fauna are at their best in India.
Just imagining how the rain feels after months of surviving the heat fills us with joy and makes us think of all those things that enhance the experience of the monsoons. While some of us enjoy the rain indoors with piping hot food and a good cup of tea and some of us love the rain and enjoy them outdoors by playing football or going for bike rides. No matter how you like to spend your rainy days, it is important to know the do’s and don’ts in monsoon season. We are all busy enjoying the weather and often forget the things we should be doing in this season to stay safe and healthy. In this article, we will be talking about what we should do during monsoon season to stay safe and healthy while enjoying the rains and the various activities of the rainy season. We will also talk about the things you must avoid doing for staying healthy and ensure that you do not fall ill during the monsoon season.
In this article, we will be talking about the things we should do during the monsoon season. Before taking a look at these tips for staying healthy it is important to understand the monsoon season in India and why is it so important to ensure not falling ill during this period. The first showers of the monsoon season hit India in the first week of June at the southwestern coasts of Kerala. Mostly the monsoons arrive in the country on 1st June but there might be a delay or advancement of a day or two. The monsoon rains then spread across the country and by July almost the entire country receives the monsoons. The monsoon season in India continues from June to September. During these months, the entire country gets showers almost every day.
The rainy season also brings with it a large number of illnesses, allergies and infections. This is the time when our immune system is tested the most. But why do we fall ill so easily during the rainy season and what are the precautions to be taken during rainy season? Well, the answer to both these questions lies in this section. The rainwater contains viruses and bacteria that are not visible to the naked eyes. During this season, water bodies tend to pollute easily and also the risk of water-borne diseases increases. Also, parasites flourish in this season due to favourable conditions for their growth and multiplication. It is during this season that mosquitoes also multiply and diseases like dengue and malaria spread. Rainwater alone is not something that we could consider to cause you any harm. It is the growth and multiplication of these viruses, bacteria and parasites that lead to the monsoon season bringing in a number of diseases along. Also during the monsoon season, the white blood cells in our body that fight off these disease-causing microorganisms become weak. This happens due to the fluctuating temperatures in this season. Hence it is important to follow some health tips for monsoon season and ensure the safety and well being of ourselves and our family members.
In the upcoming sections, we will be answering the question “What should we do during monsoon season to keep safe and healthy?” we will look at the tops you must follow and the precautions you must take for the same. This will help you enjoy the monsoon season to the fullest.
Do’s And Don’ts In Monsoon Season
Let us jump right into this ultimate guide that has all you need to know about managing your health during the rainy seasons in India. We will be looking at various aspects of how you can stay safe during this season and how the monsoon season can be enjoyed right when you are healthier. This list of the do’s and don’ts in rainy season has been created keeping in mind your health and safety.
What Should We Do During Monsoon Season
This is a list o things that you must do without fail during the rainy season. Following the tips mentioned here will be beneficial for you and your family during the monsoons and will help boost immunity and in turn, protect your body from dangerous diseases. The following is the list of five things that we should do during the monsoon season:
- Drink pure water. Ensure that your boil drinking water before consuming. Boiling kills germs and bacteria.
- Bath and take a shower every day. Personal hygiene is extremely important to maintain during this season of humidity. You sweat a lot during his season and bathing is a good way to avoid allergies and infections.
- Scrub your fruits and vegetable. This is another important point as the products you purchase may have come in contact with rainwater or other surfaces that might be damp or dirty. Cleaning your fruits and vegetable before use is important in every season but even more during the rainy season because of our immunity being weaker.
- Protect yourself from allergies by avoiding consuming the products that you are allergic to or suspect of being allergic to.
- Carry an umbrella to avoid getting drenched in the rain.
An additional tip would be to exercise and work out every day to stay healthy.
What Are The Don’ts In Monsoon Season?
Now that we know what we should do during monsoon season, let us also take a look at the activities to avoid during the rainy season. The following activities must be avoided by you during the rainy season.
- Do not eat food from the street vendors.
- Do not let water stagnate in places in and around your house. This becomes the breeding ground for mosquitoes.
- Avoid walking in dirty and muddy water.
- Do not sit in a room with the AC switched on if you are wet.
- Do not sit in wet clothes for a long time.
To avoid getting wet in heavy rains you must use a raincoat. Check out this 100% waterproof and lightweight raincoat on Decathlon. This is a high quality and affordable raincoat perfect for the monsoon season that you can order online. Have a look and other types of raincoat and choose the one that suits your needs.
Major Health Problems In Monsoon Season In India
As we discussed above, monsoons bring with them a large number of illnesses and infections. The diseases that are commonly spread during this season can be waterborne, airborne or spread due to mosquitoes. You will have to follow various safety precautions during rainy season to prevent these diseases as prevention is always easier than the cure. Here is a list of diseases that you need to protect your body from during the rainy season.
- Common Cold
- Viral Fever
Diseases Spread By Mosquitoes
7 Effective Health Tips For Monsoons
Let us take a look at some tips that you can follow to protect yourselves and your loved ones from the diseases that spread during the monsoon season.
- Do not let still water collect around the house or at home.
- Drink clean water.
- Avoid street food and drinks.
- Avoid eating pre-cut fruits and vegetables.
- Do not walk in muddy and dirty water
- Take a shower every day and maintain personal hygiene.
- Avoid wet walls.
Why Should We Drink Boiled Water In The Rainy Season?
Water can be a carrier of germs and bacteria that spread diseases. Boiling drinking water before use helps in killing almost all the germs that the water might contain. It purifies the water and makes it fit for consumption.
Boosting your immunity is extremely important during the monsoon season to help you stay safe from the diseases that spread during this season. These are some tips to help you protect your body from catching any diseases during the rainy season:
- Eat seasonal vegetables and fruits and consume citrus fruits.
- Avoid extra salt in foods.
- Consume a protein-rich diet.
- Avoid spicy food.
- Drink boiled water.
Try These Monsoon Exercises To Stay Fit
Exercising is a great way to stay active and stay healthy. It also keeps you fit during the monsoon season. The following exercises can be tried by you during the rainy season at home:
- Spot Jogging: jogging is a good physical activity and you can try spot jogging even at your house during the rainy season. Check out these jogging shoes on Decathlon that are lightweight and have a comfortable fit.
- Skipping: skipping can be done by adults and children and is equally enjoyed by everyone. You can buy the best skipping rope online on Decathlon. This skipping rope made in India is the best option for you as it is adjustable, has an ergonomic grip and well suitable for fast skipping too.
- Strength Training: strength training has become a common physical activity that can be done at home. Finding the right equipment for the same is important. You must check this strength training pull up bar on Decathlon that is versatile and has a compact design.
- Plank Exercise: this is another good activity that you can involve in at home. You can use a yoga mat for the same. Find the best quality yoga mats suitable for planks on Decathlon. Check out this Gentle Yoga Mat perfect for your plank exercise.
How Monsoon Yoga Can Benefit You?
Yoga has various health benefits. Performing Yogasana the right way can help you in keeping your mind calm and staying healthy. Using a Yoga Mat is important while performing Yoga at home. The Rubber And Jute Yoga Mat from Decathlon is a 100% natural yoga mat that offers better grip and stability. This yoga mat is also super comfortable.
Some of the Yogasanas that you must try during the monsoon season at home are:
- Anulom Vilom Pranayama
- Supta Vajrasana
Food Rules To Follow In Monsoon Season
Now that we know the do’s and don’ts in monsoon season, let us also take a look at the rules we must follow for our food during this season.
- Avoid spicy foods.
- Avoid fried food.
- Consume more liquids.
- Drink lots of water
- Eat seasonal fruits and vegetables.
Monsoon Diet Tips: What To Eat In Rainy Season?
You must eat the following foods during the monsoon season for staying healthy:
- Green peppercorns
- Omega 3 fatty acids
6 Monsoon Tips For Children To Stay Away From Infections This Rainy Season
Children love playing outdoors and have a higher chance of falling ill during the rainy season. Here are a few tips for children to stay safe during monsoons:
- Stay hydrated.
- Always eat freshly cooked home food.
- Wear proper clothing and footwear.
- Intake foods that boost immunity.
- Take bath twice a day.
- Avoid touching your eyes with dirty hands.
5 Handy Baby Care Tips For Monsoon Season
Babies need special care as they are the most vulnerable among us all. These tips will help you take care of babies during the monsoon season.
- Cover the baby with light clothing.
- Maintain a pleasant room temperature.
- Give your baby diaper breaks. Let the skin breathe freely.
- Boiled water is a must.
- Keep the baby clean and ensure hygiene around the baby.
How To Prevent Fungal Infection In The Rainy Season?
Fungal infections become highly common during the humid months of the monsoon season. To prevent fungal infections you must follow these tips:
- Shower and shampoo your hair regularly.
- Avoid wearing tight clothes.
- Wear clean and dry clothes.
- Avoid sharing your personal items.
- Keep your feet dry and clean.
We hope this article has helped you find answers to the question “What should we do during monsoon season?” and also helped you get all the information you need for staying safe and healthy this monsoon season. Monsoons are a time for enjoyment and relaxation but if safety measures are avoided, it could become a time of illness. Hence it is important to follow these tips and stay healthy during the monsoon season.
In this section, we have answered some of the common questions related to monsoons and the do’s and don’ts in monsoon season.
What things we should not do during monsoon season?
In the monsoon season, you must not do various activities that could lead to the spreading of diseases.
- Avoid eating food from the street vendors that is sold in the open.
- Do not let water stagnate in places in and around your house to prevent mosquito breeding near your house and in your locality.
- Do not walk in dirty and muddy water.
- Avoid sitting in a room with the AC switched on if you are wet.
- Avoid wearing wet clothes for a long time.
What are the five things that we should do during monsoon season?
The following five things should be done by you during monsoon season.
- Drink boiled or pure water.
- Take a bath every day.
- Scrub your fruits and vegetables before consumption.
- Protect yourself from allergies and infections.
- Exercise regularly & sleep well.
What is monsoon safety?
Monsoon safety is following health tips that help you boost immunity to help you protect yourself from the diseases and illnesses that spread during the monsoon season. Monsoon safety is also about keeping yourself, your home and your surroundings hygienic to avoid the spreading of diseases.
What should children do in the monsoon to be safe?
To stay safe during the monsoon season, children must do the following:
- Stay hydrated.
- Always eat freshly cooked food.
- Proper clothing and footwear.
- Intake foods that boost immunity.
- Take bath twice a day.
- Avoid touching your eyes.