Ahana is a 24-year-old Zumba Instructor from Kolkata, West Bengal. She is also an instructor at "Strong by Zumba" and a Zin member (Zumba Instructor Network) since May 2017. If there's one thing that keeps her going is her absolute love for the sport and teaching it.
My Biggest Inspiration to Take Up Zumba is the Creator of the Zumba Program Beto Perez
Beto Perez (A Colombian dancer and choreographer who created the fitness program Zumba in the 1990s) and the lead Zumba Educational Specialist of India (ZES) Sucheta Pal. They've been a huge inspiration to me when I first started Zumba and today I am able to proudly say that I am a successful Zumba Instructor myself.
I had an interview with dance choreographer and owner of Fusion Step, Debanjali Chakraborty. She told me that I should take up Zumba as a career. That's when the thought struck my mind and I decided to give it a try and take training.
I Joined Fusion Step and Learned Under Debanjali Chakraborty Herself
I practiced for a year, got my Zumba Training done under the Lead Zumba Education Specialist (ZES) Sucheta Pal who is also the ambassador of Zumba.
Zumba Has Plenty of Benefits in My Daily Life
- Zumba is like a party - Going to a Zumba class is like being at a party or dancing at a nightclub. A phrase you’ll often hear when referring to Zumba is “come, let’s join the party “ — that’s also the tagline for Zumba.
- Zumba makes you smile - Whenever you attend a Zumba class, you'll notice that most people are smiling, like almost everytime.
- Zumba gives you life and passion - Zumba brings back a sense of energy and vitality into your life and an excitement for daily living. Zumba is always something to look forward to or is a way to express yourself. It's a way of life which induces a sense of passion to one's personality.
- Zumba helps to develop confidence.
- Zumba is not only great for dancers but is a great way to convert nondancers into dancers. (P.S: Zumba is for everyone).
- Zumba helps me stay fit and focused.
My Favourite Zumba Moves are
Reggaeton, Dancehall, Cumbia, Soca, Merengue, Salsa and Moombahton
I Try to Structure My Days Productively
The previous night before a class, I prepare by creating a playlist, get proper 8 hours of sleep and wake up early to have a healthy breakfast. I then travel to my workplace and take two Zumba classes which are usually followed by lunch. I take another class in the evening, do my daily workout, catch up with my friends and then head home.
I Do Follow a Diet
But I have my cheat days too. But I make it a point to keep myself hydrated all the time.
For breakfast I prefer dry fruits, egg white and a peanut butter sandwich.
Lunch should be heavy which includes roti /rice or brown rice , dal , chicken / paneer and lots of veggies.
Snacks can be anything light.
Dinner should be the lightest. Preferably a roti or two with chicken soup and veggies.
I've faced a lot of challenges but the ones I like to recall are
Going through intensive training and qualifying. Turning my clients’ dreams into reality. I would rather call it a blessing because they helped me become a way better version of myself, doing what I love.
I think Zumba is a way of life and once people adapt to the sport, they continue practicing even if they've achieved their goals or targets. In terms of awareness, Kolkata as a city is improving and consists of the most pro-active and homegrown members of the Zumba community.
The Only Thing I Find Indispensable to My Practice is;
Speakers! Haha. Gear completely depends on the necessities. The sport basically is the connection of mind, body and soul.
One Experience That Sticks Out for Me is;
Meeting the Creator of Zumba himself, Beto Perez.
When people as me what's next for me, I tell them that currently, I’m focusing on becoming a Zumba Jammer and help people lead a healthy life. And spread the idea of Zumba Fitness.