4 EXERCISES TO BUILD UP YOUR PECS
Check out our selection of bodybuilding exercises to develop your pecs quickly and effectively: bench presses with a bar or dumbbells, dumbbell pullovers, press-ups and cable pull-downs. Over to you to get those strong, well-chiselled pecs.
Dreaming of great pecs in just 4 exercises?
If you're starting your exercise with free weights, don't hesitate to have someone spot you for safety (assistance during the exercise, help if you need it). Remember to strengthen your back to help maintain muscle balance and avoid a rounded posture.
Enjoy your workout!
Exercise 1: Bench press with a bar or dumbbells
• Targeted muscles: Mainly the pectoral muscles. • Exercise: Lie on your back on a horizontal bench, holding a straight bar with your hands shoulder-width apart. Lift your arms above your shoulders. Bend your arms until the bar comes down to your chest. Slowly straighten your arms back up (but don't lock your elbows). • Breathing: Breathe in as you lower your arms and breathe out as you raise them. • Safety instructions: To ease the pressure and protect your lower back, bend your knees and bring your feet near your buttocks. Choose an appropriate weight for your level. • Repetition: 3 sets of 12-15 reps with 1 minute of recovery between sets.
Exercise 2: Dumbbell pullovers
• Targeted muscles: Mainly the pectoralis major and latissimus dorsi. • Exercise: Lie down on a bench on your back with a dumbbell held with both hands, arms outstretched and perpendicular to the ground. Lower your arms behind your head, keeping your arms straight. Return to the starting position. This exercise can also be done standing up. • Breathing: Breathe in as you lower your arms and breathe out as you raise them. • Safety instructions: Be sure to work on your shoulder flexibility before doing these exercises. Tight shoulders can cause lower back pain. To protect your lower back, keep your knees bent and close to your body. Choose an appropriate weight for your level. • Repetition: 3 sets of 12-15 reps with 1 minute of recovery between sets.
Exercise 3: Press-ups
• Targeted muscles: Mainly the pectoralis major, the triceps and the deltoids.
• Exercise: Start on the ground resting on your toes and your outstretched arms. Your hands should be slightly wider than shoulder-width apart. Lower your body by bending your arms until you just touch the ground, keeping your abs contracted. Return to your starting position by pushing up with your arms.
To make the exercise more challenging, do it with the Domyos Gain Trainer. Exercise in unstable conditions to yield better results! • Breathing: Breathe in as you lower your arms and breathe out as you raise them. • Safety instructions: Keep your abs contracted to protect your lower back. Choose the version which best suits your level so that the exercises are done safely (knees on the ground, raised feet). • Repetition: 3 sets of 10-12 reps with 1 minute of recovery between sets.
Exercise 4: Cable pull-downs
• Targeted muscles: Mainly the pectoralis major and the front part of the deltoids. • Exercise: Stand in the centre of the machine, a grip in each hand, upper body leaning slightly forward and knees slightly bent. Your arms should be outstretched and parallel with the ground. Bend your arms slightly and bring them down towards the ground, crossing your arms at the front. Slowly return to your starting position with your arms parallel to the ground. • Breathing: Breathe in when in the starting position and breathe out during the movement. • Safety instructions: Do not go higher than your shoulders. Keep your shoulders down and your back straight. Choose an appropriate weight for your level. • Repetition: 3 sets of 12-15 reps with 1 minute of recovery between sets.CHECK OUR RANGE OF BODYBUILDING EQUIPMENT