PREPARING YOUR BACKPACK : LIST OF ESSENTIAL ITEMS
With the help of their partner Mountain Guides, Quechua provides a list of essential items for your backpack.
ARE YOU PREPARING YOURSELF TO SET OFF HIKING?
For day hiking, we recommend a small size backpack (up to 20L) so it remains light. However if you need to carry the belongings of your co-hikers or children, a 20 to 40L bag may be more suitable. With the help of our partner Mountain Guides*, we propose our list of essential items to take with you.
Learn more about the triple-layer technique here to make sure you stay dry and warm while hiking.
- Weather-appropriate clothing where weather can vary rapidly: a fleece, a waterproof windbreaker (discover our Women's and Men's jackets), and a spare t-shirt
- A cap, hat or headband
- A pair of gloves if you are walking at altitude or in cold weather
- Sunglasses suitable for hiking: category 3-4 or SPF 50
- Sun cream
- Insect repellent if you are entering damp areas (marshes, lakes, rivers...)
- A pair of poles where you are using them
- A pack of tissues are also useful
FOOD & HYDRATION:
- Water (1 to 2 L per person dependent on season) - A picnic and/or some cereal or dry fruit bars as when taking breaks - Water-free soap
- Ordnance survey of location- Acompass and altimeter
- Ordnance survey of location - A compass and altimeter
- A charged mobile telephone and useful emergency numbers (in the mountains, dial 112 where required) - First aid kit (plasters, disinfectant spray, compress, aspirin...) - Torch or headlamp - A knife - A survival blanket - A whistle This list of "basics" can be adapted based upon the sought after level of comfort. It is not exhaustive, do not hesitate to add additional items in order to make the most of your day: camera, MP3 player, card games, a plantlife and animal life guide... HAPPY HIKING!CHECK OUR RANGE OF HIKING BACKPACKS