Do you go snorkelling or would you like to have a go? Think about choosing somewhere safe to snorkel! Depending on your level of snorkelling, some aspects should be taken into account, particularly the choice of the place where you will snorkel.
PRACTICAL ADVICE FROM ÉRIC (FROM DUNE SNORKELING)
If you want to try your hand at snorkelling, pick the best site for you. The area must particularly have significant “safety potential” in terms of dominant winds (exposure), currents, but also depending on whether other potentially dangerous users are around (jet-skiers, windsurfers, spearfishermen, etc.).
To feel perfectly safe, choose a spot with a lifeguard, with obstacle-free access: pedestrian access, car park nearby, equipment space close by, etc. Getting into the water from the beach is a good idea: it is easy and also limits the impact of trampling on the natural environment. Think about it!
CHOOSING YOUR SNORKELING SPOT
A few tips to help you choose.
– The underwater topography should also be accessible. Ideally, it should be between 2 m and 5 m deep to make it easy to observe the wildlife and appreciate the colours, whilst limiting contact between your fins and the seabed.
– Does your chosen site have varied relief? All the same, focus on a part that is mainly sandy or sprinkled with a few small rocks. Take care to avoid grassy seabeds: these long green leaves that sway in the waves often scare novices!
– Also, make sure that the water is clear enough to let you see. As you go on, to enrich your encounters and the pleasure of discovery, target areas with interesting biodiversity and different ecosystems.
– Always keep an eye on your water exit zone and do your first snorkelling excursions over a zone with a terrestrial relief that is not particularly prominent.
– Furthermore, you can trust the underwater pathway sites: independent or guided paths will meet all the aforementioned conditions.
One last detail, last but definitely not the least
Before going out snorkelling, make sure that you are properly equipped! Fins, masks, snorkel, snorkelling suit. The pleasure of your outing depends, of course, on the quality of your snorkelling equipment!
Products we recommend for your Snorkelling Trips!